This week I’m blogging from a higher altitude and my new happy place! I’m vacationing at my grandparent’s home in Aspen. What a nice break it’s been so far. The past two weekends in Chicago were filled with lots of activities and visitors. Of course it was a blast, but it really took it out of me.
We went hiking yesterday and just sat next to the river enjoying the fresh air and breath-taking views. On our way home we stopped at the fruit and vegetable stand on the side of the highway to pick up some fresh produce for dinner last night.
I’m not sure what it is about all this gorgeous fresh clean air, but it makes me want to eat everything fresh and run around! Which I did while climbing on rocks like a 10 year old yesterday. It was awesome.
Salads make for the perfect light lunch and this one is probably one of my all-time favorites. I don’t know how I haven’t shared it before! It’s perfect for two people and a cup of soup would be a nice little side!
I’m sure I’ll have a few more super fresh dishes for you by the time I leave!
Serves: 2 • Prep Time: 15 minutes
Nutrition per Serving Cal: 287.7 • Fat: 13.8g • Carb: 18.5g • Protein: 22.3g • Fiber: 3.5g • Sugar: 0g
- 2 cups baby romaine, chopped
- 2 Tbsp red onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 3 thin slices salami, diced
- 2 Tbsp chopped red bell pepper
- 1 heaping Tbsp basil
- 2 Tbsp shredded part-skim mozzarella
- 4 oz. chicken breast, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp champagne vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- In a large bowl, combine all salad ingredients.
- In a small bowl whisk together the ingredients for the dressing through the champagne vinegar. While whisking, slowly pour in the olive oil until emulsified.
- Toss vinaigrette with salad until well combined.
- Serve immediately.