Everyone loves burgers, and eating healthy shouldn’t mean giving them up. I use lean bison instead of beef and add topping that pack a punch. These feel like an indulgence!
Serves: 4 • Prep Time: ~20 minutes • Cook Time: ~10 minutes
Nutrition per serving Calories: 369.1 • Fat: 7.4g • Carb: 42.1g • Protein: 34.3g • Fiber: 4.5g • Sugar: 8.4g
- 1 lb. ground bison
- 8 whole wheat slider buns
- 3 Tbsp reduced fat blue cheese crumbles
- 1 cup sliced Baby Bella mushrooms
- 1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup baby arugula leaves
- Lay parchment paper on a baking sheet. With clean hands, form 8 equal sized patties, pushing down slightly in the center for more even cooking. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Remove stems from mushrooms and cut them 1/4″ slices. Slice onion into thin rings. Toss with a drizzle of olive oil.
- Heat your grill on medium to medium-low with a grill basket on one half. Once preheated add the mushrooms and onions to the grill basket and cook for 5 minutes, tossing occasionally. Start these before the sliders because they take longer to cook.
- Add burgers to the grill and cook for 3 minutes. (Don’t forget that bison cooks faster than beef because of it’s low fat content and overcooking them will leave you with dry sliders!) Flip burgers and add a sprinkle of blue cheese and close the grill to help with melting. Cook for three minutes then remove from grill. Continue cooking and tossing mushrooms and onions while cooking burgers. Toast buns on upper grill rack, if desired
- Remove mushrooms and onions from grill and add a pinch of salt and toss.
- Assemble sliders by placing arugula on the bottom, topped with a bison patty and mushrooms & onions. Serve hot with our spiced fries, a pickle and ketchup.